Rev. Alban Butler (171173). Volume IX: September. The Lives of the Saints. 1866.
St. Eustochius, Bishop of Tours
HE was descended from an illustrious family of Auvergne, and, according to Gregory of Tours, was a man of eminent virtue. Being raised to the see of Tours after the death of St. Brice in 444, he strenuously defended, in the council of Angers, the privileges of the church, which were invaded by a law of Valentinian III. and had a principal share in drawing up the regulations made in that council concerning discipline. He increased the number of parishes in his diocess, and built in the city of Tours a church, wherein he deposited the relics of SS. Gervasius and Protasius, which St. Martin had received from Italy. He died in 461, and was buried in the church built by St. Brice over the tomb of St. Martin; his name occurs this day in the Roman Martyrology. See St. Gregory of Tours, Hist. l. 2, c. 1, et 14, l. 10, c. 31. Baillet, on the 19th Sept. F. Longueval, Hist. de lEgl. Gall. t. 2, p. 77 et 114.