Rev. Alban Butler (171173). Volume X: October. The Lives of the Saints. 1866.
St. Wasnulf, or Wasnon, Patron of Conde, Confessor
THE SCOTS from Ireland and North Britain not content to plant the faith in the isles of Orkney, in the Hebrides or Western islands, and in other neighbouring places, travelled also into remote kingdoms, to carry thither the light of the gospel. Thence came St. Mansuetus, the first bishop of Toul in Lorrain, St. Rumold, patron of Mechlin, St. Colman, M. &c. Several Scottish monasteries were founded in Germany by eminent monks who came from that country, as at Vienna in Austria, at Strasburg, Eichstade, Nuremberg, Constance, Wurtzburg, Erfurth, two at Cologn, and two at Ratisbon.1 Out of these only three remain at present in the hands of Scottish Benedictin monks, those at Erfuth and Wurtzburg, and that of St. James at Ratisbon. In the seventh century St. Vincent, count of Haynault, invited many holy monks from Ireland and Scotland, then seminaries of saints, into the Netherlands. Among these St. Wasnulf was the most renowned. He was a Scottish priest and preacher, (not a bishop, as some moderns pretend,) and finished his course about the year 651, at Conde, where his body still reposes in a collegiate church endowed with twenty-four canonries. In his apostolical labours he illustrated that country with miracles, says Baldericus, or rather the anonymous author of Chron. Camer. l. 2. c. 42. See Molanus, in Nat. Sanct. Belgii, 1 Oct. Miræus, and the Bollandists, t. 1. Oct. p. 304.